The first Mass to be celebrated in Simsbury was on October 5, 1902. That same year, property was purchased for $550 and the Church of the Immaculate Conception of Mary was built on the north side of Plank Hill Road (the stone steps from the property are still visible along Plank Hill Rd). This church was dedicated on May 29, 1904. Prior to this church building, the Catholics that lived here in “the valley” would travel by train or road to what was, at the time, the center of activity in Simsbury -- the village of Tariffville.
As the parish outgrew the wooden structure on Plank Hill, the present church property on Hopmeadow was purchased in 1920. The new church was constructed and then dedicated as St. Mary's on February 23, 1936.
St. Mary's purchased the home and property to the south of the church from C. Edson Curtiss. It was remodeled and became the parish rectory for the pastor and his assistant in 1952.
The first unit of St. Mary's school housing grades 1-3 was dedicated in 1957. The second unit, a five room building was dedicated in 1959. The nuns who taught at the school lived in the "convent" -- the beautiful Seven Elms mansion that sat between the school building and the church (The Seven Elms sat in the area where our Parish Center is located and can be seen to the left of the church in the photo above).
Construction of the Parish Center began in 1985 and included office space, kitchen and library.
Expansion of the Church (side wings) was completed in July of 1985 providing an additional 200 seats.
Our parish offices were relocated to 3 Massaco Street when that property was purchased in 1998 to provide the parish with more adequate office accomodations and meeting space for our various organizations and ministries. Our parish has more than 1100 families and St. Mary School enrolls over 200 children in its pre-school through eighth grades. Our parish continues to grow to meet the spiritual, educational and social needs of people. There are more than 800 students, grades one through twelve, in our Religious Education and High School programs.
St. Mary's Pastors
Father Frank J. Matera, PhD, 2012-present
Father William R. Metzler, 1997
Father Lawrence Bock, Father William Dudack, 1982
Father James Carlone, Father Robert Tucker, 1981
Father Robert Tucker, Father Joseph P. Donahue, 1975
Father Joseph T. Cunningham, 1959
Father John Weldon, 1953
Father Michael Guerin, 1944
Father Henry Callahan, 1933
Father Matthew Judge, 1924
Father John J. Kean, 1921