Facilities Working Group
In June 2013, Father Matera hosted a parish retreat comprised of parishioners from all committees throughout the parish. One of the outcomes of this parish retreat was that a strategic space plan needed to be developed for both the school and the parish. The Facilities Working Group (FWG) was created to start working on this long-term plan.
The goals of the FWG were:
(1) Develop a strategic space plan for the parish and school, and
(2) Address renovation & new construction opportunities.
Since the creation of the FWG, modular classrooms were added to the school and the Religious Education program was moved from Squadron Line School to St. Mary’s School. Both of these issues created additional space considerations that needed to be addressed. The town of Simsbury has mandated that all modular classrooms be removed by 2017 and the school facilities are now being heavily used by both the Religious Education and Adult Education programs.
Letter from Father Matera (6/1/15)
Frequently Asked Questions
Parish Survey - Spring 2015
Initial Parish Survey Results (July 2015)
Project Explanation and Renderings
How Did We Arrive Here?
The FWG first met in September 2013 and over the course of the next few months the group completed the following:
- Inventoried all space, facility and campus assets,
- Surveyed all stakeholder groups in the parish and assessed their current and future needs, and
- Identified and prioritized potential solutions
After the inventory and surveys of all stakeholders, the following NEEDS were identified:
- Adequate meeting space for parish,
- Adequate class and library space for school,
- Handicap bathrooms and accessibility for upper & lower church,
- Improved parking & traffic circulation,
- Reconfiguring Parish Center gym and seating to host middle school games,
- Greater parish connectivity, e.g. with parish office, and
- Additional storage space
Once the needs had been identified, the FWG shifted its focus to identifying and prioritizing potential solutions.
Comprehensive, Campus-Wide Solution
The FWG focused on a comprehensive, campus wide solution. Specifically, the creation of a new parish life facility plan that would do the following:
- Physically connect the church and school,
- Allow the parish offices to be moved on campus,
- Include a new, divisible gathering and meeting space,
- Add a library and music/art classroom space for school,
- Provide handicap bathrooms and accessibility to upper & lower church,
- Create additional storage space,
- Enhance lower church meeting space,
- Increase parking and improve traffic flow,
- Reconfigure the parish center as a middle school gym and provide some space for spectator/team seating,
- Permit the timely removal of modular classrooms, and
- Unite and draw support from both the parish and school communities